Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Run Down Memory Lane

It wasn't raining when I left for my field trip out to Staring Lake for today's run. It started as soon as I hit the freeway with a drizzle progressing to full-on downpour by the time I turned by Oak Pointe. I thought about giving up and going to the health club instead but the thought of another treadmill run this week, even if impressive calf-man and impressively tan calf-man make an appearance, made me want to go home and sleep instead. So I sucked it up and kept going. The universe told me I had made the right decision when the rain suddenly stopped just as I stepped out of the Silver Stallion for my run down memory lane.

Let's begin at the playground. The jungle gyms have changed quite a bit since my days of sand castles and swing sets. I remember spending hours here running around like a wild child with my friends. If I am not mistaken, I think there used to be a zip line at the far end of the park but I am not sure of that. Can any of my EP peeps help me out on this one?

Heh, I just said peeps.

The trail takes a steep decline as you pass the park and opens up to a view of the amphitheater on your right. The amphitheater my friends and I saw Inflatable Date at one year and rushed the stage pretending to be screaming groupies at our friend the guitarist's feet. Good times.

Pass the bench and continue counterclockwise around the lake. I seem to remember running repeats along this stretch of trail on more than one occasion. This area is quite serene as you disappear into the woods and lose sight of civilization for awhile.

It was at this point when I realized I forgot my iPod. No worries, the birds were singing a sweet serenade to the drum of my footsteps and the swoosh-swoosh of my windbreaker. I was all one with my thoughts and decided I wasn't going to miss my music today.

Rounding the bend I crossed the bridge over Purgatory Creek and into the area of the Nature Center. I can't remember who I came here with the most but I remember spending a lot of time here as well. Yeah, I'm a bit of a nature-girl.

Cross the bridge back onto the main trail and wind around until you run parallel to Staring Lake Parkway and all the mansions. I can't imagine what it would be like to live somewhere with so much space. Seems a bit of a waste to me. I like my cozy apartment with no property taxes thankyouverymuch.

The best part of the run was near then end passing by the sliding hill. So many fond memories tubing here with family and friends. One year we had liberated some trays from the school cafeteria and realized they made sweet sleds. Another time we drank hot chocolate all night and played cards instead of tubing.

As I climbed the hill at the end of my run I thanked myself for braving mother nature. The rain was a welcome respite on my heated face by this time and as the wind picked up I vowed to remember my experience next time I think I'd rather curl up in bed instead of facing the rain.

Press on.

No comments: