Tuesday, May 6, 2008

rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down

It started out as a gorgeous day. Sunny, warm, and not too windy. I had appointments all morning and enjoyed the drive around town with the moon roof down and the music up loud! It was just about the time I arrived home, energized and ready to run today's 2 miles when the skies opened up and said "how about a swim instead?"

Dang.

Off to the health club for a date with the treadmill.

They are remodeling my club and everything looks all spiffy and new but I am a little irked with the layout of the cardio area. It's an intelligent design, with large TV banks in the middle with half the machines facing the other half. My issue is that I have to look at the other half of the room looking back at me. When I go to the club I am not one of those women who get all dolled up before working out in hope of being accosted by one of the meat heads preening in front of the floor-to-ceiling mirrors by the free weights. I throw on my headphones, avoid eye-contact, and stay focused on the workout at hand. No time for jibber-jabber, see? So this new layout puts a serious wrench in the no eye-contact rule and forces me to stare at creepy stairmaster-guy and over-zealous recumbant bike woman while I try to crank out my measly two miles as fast as possible. There's only so much College Jeopardy I can stand while bouncing up and down before feeling nauseous.

To save the day, an older gentleman hopped on the cross-trainer in front of me with the most perfect calf muscles I've ever seen! As I ran, admiring the way the tendons enclosed the popliteal space, another man, equally old, jumped on the machine next to him with an even more impressive set! His were slightly more defined and plenty tan to show off each and every delicious curve. I love me a good pair of calf muscles. Before I knew it the two miles were up. I said a silent farewell to the two impressive calf-men, did my obligatory stretch, and headed out in the rainy afternoon.

Press on.

No comments: