Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.
-Fred Rogers


I wonder if people realize their impact on others. Just a simple smile in passing, the holding of a door, or a simple "hello" can make all the difference in a person's day. It doesn't even take extra energy to do these small things and what I've found, is that by doing, you create energy for more doing. It's a perpetual cycle of positive energy wherever you go. Perhaps that energy is contagious. If only one person out of ten "catches" that energy, think of what a difference you can make! I've always believed that you can change the world one person at a time. I may not be traveling the globe in the spotlight flaunting my deeds for the next cover story but I am doing my best to make the world around me a better place.

So the next time you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, try a little experiment. Smile today at everyone you meet. Whether they be a stranger in passing, or a longtime friend, simply smile. If it suits you, as soon as they are gone you are free to frown to your heart's content! I guarantee that by mid-day you'll wonder how the wrong side of the bed turned into the right side.

Press on.


2 comments:

StaceFace said...

One of my favorite paying it forwards is to give people parking stubs with extra time on them. Someone gave me one after I had begrudgingly decided to go to the pay lot. It made my day, and now, whenever I go to those type of lots I always make it a point to give the extra time to someone else on my way out!

However, now that it's nice out, and I ride my bicycle everywhere... I'll have to find a new pay it forward idea.

Stiles said...

Nice work Little Wheel! Do you ever park your bike near parking meters? In college I used to carry around a few extra quarters for those poor unfortunate souls just about to get the smack-down from the law.

Let me know what you come up with; I'm sure it will be great!