Tuesday, August 5, 2008

ch-ch-ch-changes

I am grudgingly realizing I may not be able to run the marathon this year. I have not entirely given up the possibility but it is getting closer and closer and my progress is slow slow slow. I'm up to 20 minutes of running now and should be up to 30 minutes at the end of the week. That means I only have...about 4 hours to go...in 2 months. Let's do the math, shall we? In order to avoid injury it is only safe to increase your weekly mileage by 10%. Let's be a bit generous with that percentage because I'm a machine and I don't have the time or patience to be injured anyway. My weekly total this week should be around 10 miles. There are 8 weeks left to train. That should put me around 30 miles the week before M-day with a long run of only around 12 miles, just a few shy of the actual race.

Reality sucks donkey balls.

I feel bad because I originally signed up to run the race with my friend M and I really don't want to let her down. I also got middle wheel to sign up and now I won't be able to run with her either. I fear the biggest letdown will be between me, myself, and I. I am my worst critic, after all. I think in order not to feel like a total failure I'll be forced to give myself credit for the progress I have made since surgery and look forward to Grandma's marathon next June. Yes kids, just because I'm not doing TC doesn't mean all is lost. Grandma's should be a much more reasonable goal and my legs will have healed nicely by then.

Grumble, grumble...I think I just faced reality.

Press on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't feel bad...after all you're awesome...and you'll kick butt at the next one.